Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Care.com Update

Want Ad for a Caregiver in Care.com

I am seeking a part-time caregiver who has experience with dementia. My mom is 89-years old, Filipina and is still living in her home. My Monday and Tuesday caregiver who has been with us for a year will be moving on as a new assistant teacher. The caregiver MUST live in a 10-mile radius of Oakland, California and have transportation with insurance. Please DO NOT apply if you live outside the 10-mile radius of Oakland. Mom takes her walker and has daily walks in parks, shopping centers, doggy parks, and senior citizen recreation centers. Mom uses a walker and is able to go to the bathroom with assistance. I want a caregiver who will stimulate mom with physical and mental activities. Hourly rate is $12.

This is my first want ad for a caregiver in www.care.com. It's a simple process and very cost effective than Craigslist ($75) or any other newsmedia. I became an official member for 30 days and placed an ad for $30. I could have applied for the 3-months member or a 1-year member but I felt confident that I could find a caregiver within that time. I found care.com communication between family member and caregivers very effective and provide some safety for caregivers because emails are onsite. I have received emails from 18 caregivers from the bay area but I found one common thread from placing ads in care.com and Craigslist. Caregivers do not read or understand my requirements that I want caregivers who live in a 10-mile radius of Oakland. I received emails from San Jose, Fremont and San Francisco; all outside the 10-mile radius of Oakland.

Care.com also provides a limited and free background check on all their caregivers on request. They will also provide an extensive background check for a fee. The website provides family members a profile of all their caregivers and sometimes a picture. Finding that right caregiver is like joining several dating services and looking for that right one. I would highly recommend Care.com as an excellent source to find a caregiver.

2 comments:

SSCleve said...

Hi, this is Stacy. I’m a member of Care.com’s Mom Force—a team of work-at-home moms that helps with safety and customer service. I wanted you to know that I saw your blog post. It’s great to hear that Care.com worked for you!

Thank you so much for spreading the word about Care.com. And if there’s anything we can do for you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me at scleveland@hotmail.com.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on care.com. I will try it.

Caregiver Mom