Monday, March 1, 2010

FlashBack - She's Fallen

Every morning I call mom to wish her a great day and to remind her to wear her pendant. Every Sunday we test the pendant together in different rooms to make sure she understands how it works inside the house and outside in the garden.

Several months have passed...

It was a typical day for mom. She ate the same cereal and toast for breakfast. She watched Regis and Kelly; then changed channels to watch her favorite Soaps. Around noon time, she went outside to inspect her flowers in the garden but for some reason she left her walker on the front porch. She inspected her roses and losted her balance. She called for help and then pressed her medical alert pendant.

Activating the medical alert pendant outside her house but within the range of the monitoring device alerted the emergency call center. The emergency alert operator would have called out and because mom was not in range of her voice she proceeded to call the names on the emergency call list. I was the first person on the list and because I left my cell phone on my work desk when I went to the restroom; she proceeded to call my mom's next door neighbor "Mr. Thomas." He volunteered to be on the emergency list and had a key to mom's house in case she fell inside the house. It's important that anybody on the list have a house key because otherwise the firemen will have to break down the door or windows.

"Mr.Thomas" found mom outside in the garden and he called 911. She broke her hip. I received another call from the dispatch center to let me know of the situation. If mom did not have the emergency pendant and the knowledge on how to use it; she would have been outside in the garden for hours.

2 comments:

Richard Wilson said...

Caregiverguy, the medical alert necklace gave me peace of mind for several years and the system worked when my Mother fell in the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.